Crop Walk: The crop walk is an annual walk in South Brunswick to raise money to help fight hunger and respond to disasters.
Elijah’s Promise Soup Kitchen: Volunteers are needed to serve dinner to the needy at Elijah’s Promise in New Brunswick once a month on the third Tuesday. Transportation is provided via car pool. See the calendar for the next day to serve at Elijah’s Promise Soup Kitchen in New Brunswick. A car pool leaves the church at 4:30 pm, returning by 7:45pm. If you have any questions or would like to meet the group on site, call Stephanie Carr.
Food Bank: Members of St. Barnabas can donate to the South Brunswick Food Pantry simply by bringing items to Church on Sunday.
Non-perishable food can be put in the marked baskets under the table just inside the Fellowship Room. Click here for the list of items that are needed.
Food Pantry: Assist at a food pantry in New Brunswick. Click here for details.
Ozanam Men’s Shelter: St Barnabas supplies volunteers to Christ Church, New Brunswick, which provides shelter for homeless men when the Ozanam shelter is full. We partner with Christ Church, New Brunswick to staff its hospitality for the Men’s Homeless Shelter for two weeks each winter. St. Barnabas has participated in this ministry since its inception in 2000. See Additional Community Outreach for more details.
Mission Trips: Planned:
- The 2019 mission trip is currently being planned.
Mission Trips: Recent mission trips:
- 5 youth and 2 adult leaders went to Harrisburg, PA at a YouthWorks mission site from July 15-20, 2018.
- 4 youth and 2 adult leaders went to Lynn, MA in 2016 (the week of July 4) at a YouthWorks mission site.
- From July 26-31, 2015, 4 youth and 4 adult leaders joined others in the Diocese to re-build homes that are still destroyed after Superstorm Sandy
- About 10 youth and adults went to the Washington DC area during the summer of 2014 to serve the poor.
- 10 youth and 2 adult leaders went to Niagara, NY in 2013 (the week of July 4) at a YouthWorks mission site. The youth appreciates the support from the whole parish.
- The youth group went to Rutland, VT during the last week of June, 2011, then again in 2012 at Youthworks worksites. They had a wonderful experience being the hands and feet of Christ in action and spending time with youth from three other church communities and their leaders. They visited folks in assisted living facilities, nursing homes, help run a bible school for kids, and even helped build new mountain bike trails to stimulate the economy.
- The youth group went Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, June 20-25, 2010. Nine youth and two leaders made the trip in two cars, sleeping bags, T shirts and pants, airbeds and pillows, sunscreen and bug spray – to spend a week at Youthworks worksites. They had a wonderful experience being the hands and feet of Christ in action and spending time with youth from three other church communities and their leaders.
- From July 25 to August 1, 2009, parishioner Noel Ilogu, MD was part of a mission team to Kenya to train health care providers on the dangers of substance abuse and its impact on the spread of HIV and Aids in Kenya. Since 2004 the Annual Kenya Healing Mission has been one of the outreach missions of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church. The mission was organized under the auspices of GOAL Project (Global Outreach for Addiction Leadership and Learning) and included eight missioners from other churches. Goal is headed by Terry Webb, Ph.D. former parishioner of St. Barnabas Church. This year the mission trained about 70 physicians, nurses and counselors and visited with programs which had been started during previous mission trips under the Kenyan led SARAH (Substance Abuse Recovery and HIV/Aids) Network. To learn more about this mission opportunity, contact Noel Ilogu.